Wednesday 28 November 2007

I put the hills on the map

I was so happy to see the results of all my hard work today as I flipped the switch and released my new hill shaded maps:



My brand new iPhone came in handy as I was able to use the long first class flights to and from Dubai to hand shade each pixel on every one of my 2,837,295,482 map tiles. Back when I was designing Google's original cartography, I always wanted to add hill shading - I was the first person to invent this particular method, which uses a real paintbrush and my iPhone's touch screen to add the craftsman's touch. Its lucky for the rest of the world that Google have patented the process to ensure it can be used for the good of humanity.

1 comment:

mikel.maron said...

Hi FakeEd, Are you interested in speaking at Where 2.0? Get in touch. -Mikel